Building trust every day  Rockwell Collins Museum
 

Oct-30 ···
233D Transmitter Restoration Project

 

...inside the big black box.

I’ve added Jeff Howington to the list; he is just down the hall now and was the organizer for the 80th anniversary special event. He provided a sneak preview of the QSL card he is designing and it really looks good. He is interested in getting involved with the project.

Larry was successful in getting the high voltage transformer out of the case, so he can now clean up the rust and make the case look good (see the attached image). I was concerned that there might be some hidden problems with the I/O wires to the windings, but they look fairly good. We’ll need to clean up the wires and carefully inspect them before we put the big iron back in the case. Larry will be mounting the transformer and the power contactor on his neat, roll around, “Power Cart”. Should look really good.

Jules was in today reviewing the Autotune system. He expects to be able to spend considerably more time on the project. Really looking forward to getting the Autotune system tests started. Jules will talk to Don Grimm about fab’ing a new shaft. We need to get the Autotune motor cleaned up and remounted. I’m working on getting 3-phase power directly into the reversing circuit for the motor from the power contactor so we can make sure the motor works.

There is a fuse holder in the RF bay that needs replacement. I think is for one of the Autotune heaters. Likely not critical, but the holder will need to be installed before we move the cabinets back together. I think I may have some, but haven’t located them yet. The holder is a screw-in rear type with a red cap that goes in a black body. I’m sure standard twist lock holders will fit, but I really would like to keep it original. One of the fuse holders in one of the filament transformer primary circuits also needs to be replaced. It has a broken rear tab; I was able to solder the lead to the remaining part, but it really be better to have a new holder.

I have a little more cleaning on the interior of the RF bay and then we can reinstall all of the chassis. The final PA sockets need to be rotated so the grid connectors line up.

I should have more time in November so maybe I can make some progress. My cock-eyed optimist goals from last spring have been missed by at least 3 months, but I think over the next few months we can catch up and still hope to get on the air by spring.

Jim